Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sincere Gratitude

I am (reluctantly) watching as my year at the Fringe draws to a close. In the end, I saw 41 plays in ten days: a reasonably impressive figure that doesn't include Fringe Eve, Spoof Night, or the three shows that I saw twice. As much as I'm completely exhausted (a fact that is somewhat exacerbated by attending the closing party until 6:00 AM yesterday), I'm still tremendously grateful for the opportunity. Not only do I hope that I get to do this job next year, but I'd actually be quite happy spending another week watching theatrical performances and talking to people tomorrow (on Monday). It'll be hard to get back into a daily routine that doesn't involve four hours at the studio and four or five plays.

People that I need to thank:
The CFCR staff (Brian, Brent, Joseph and Theo) for showing me the ropes and helping me out around the office; Jay Neufeld for sharing his considerable backlog of experiences; SaskLotteries for funding the program; the station's listeners for giving the whole program a reason to exist; and, last but certainly not least, the performers for agreeing to talk to a greenhorn reporter and making me feel tremendously welcome. All of them helped make my whirlwind week as enjoyable as it was.

No comments: