Thursday, August 5, 2010

Progess (31 down, 5 to go)

As revealed by the title of this post (spoilers!!), I've now seen the majority of shows in this year's festival, which has caused me to revise my Top Picks (as can be seen below). I'd heartily recommend any of the shows mentioned below, though each for distinct reasons... My favorites run the gamut from high-energy musical theatre to one-handed storytelling shows, though they are united by their multifaceted approaches to their respective subjects: each carefully balances humor, pathos and reflection (albeit in different proportions).

With that wordy introduction aside, here is my current Top Six:

  • Death: LIVE!
  • Elephant in Zulu
  • The Guitar Teacher
  • The Only Friends We Have
  • The Sputniks
  • Wanderlust

Other notable productions include: When Harry Met Harry, The Eternity Project, The Pig of Happiness, Shorts, Marion Bridge, Rum and Vodka, One Man Riot, and Biome (though the last is only recommended if you enjoy dance theatre and are willing to engage with it).

No comments: